Building Your Down Payment

Many people who would like to buy a new home qualify for several different kinds of mortgages, but they don't have a lot of money to put up the standard down payment. Below are a few methods that will help you get together your down payment

Tighten your belt and save. Turn your budget inside out to uncover extra money to go toward your down payment. You also could enroll in an automatic savings plan to automatically have a set amount from your take-home pay transferred into savings. You might look into some big expenses in your budget that you can live without, or trim, at least temporarily. Here are a couple of examples: you might move into less expensive housing, or stay local for your vacation.

Sell things you don't need and find a second job. Look for a second job. This can be exhausting, but the temporary trial can help you get your down payment. In addition, you can make a comprehensive inventory of things you can sell. Unworn gold jewelry can bring a good price from local jewelry stores. You may own collectibles you can put up for sale at an auction website, or quality household items for a tag or garage sale. Also, you might want to think about selling any investments you own.

Borrow funds from your retirement plan. Research the details of your particular plan. It is possible to borrow funds from a 401(k) for a down payment or make a withdrawal from an Individual Retirement Account. Make sure you comprehend the tax ramifications, repayment terms, and any early withdrawal penalties.

Request a gift from family. First-time buyers are sometimes fortunate enough to receive down payment assistance from giving parents and other family members who are able to help them get into their first home. Your family members may be eager to help you reach the goal of having your own home.

Contact housing finance agencies. Provisional mortgage programs are given to buyers in specific situations, such as low income purchasers or future homeowners planning to improve houses in a targeted part of town, among others. Financing through this kind of agency, you probably will receive an interest rate that is below market, down payment help and other advantages. Housing finance agencies may help eligible buyers with a lower interest rate, help with your down payment, and offer other assistance. The principal goal of not-for-profit housing finance agencies is to boost the purchase of homes in certain areas.

Find out about low-down and no-down mortgage loan programs.

  • FHA mortgage loans

    The Federal Housing Administration (FHA), which is inside the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), plays a critical role in assisting low and moderate-income buyers qualify for mortgages. An office of the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development(HUD), FHA (Federal Housing Administration) assists homebuyers in getting mortgages. FHA provides mortgage insurance to the private lenders, making the buyers eligible for a home loan. Down payment sums for FHA loans are less than those of typical mortgage loans, although these loans have average interest rates. Closing costs might be covered by the mortgage, while your down payment can be as low as 3 percent of the total.

  • VA mortgage loans

    VA loans are backed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterens and service people can get a VA loan, which generally offers a competitive fixed rate of interest, no down payment, and limited closing costs. Even though the mortgage loans don't originate from the VA, the department verfifies borrowers by issuing eligibility certificates.

  • Piggy-back loans

    A piggy-back loan is a second mortgage that closes at the same time as the first. Generally the first mortgage is for 80% of the cost of the home and the "piggyback" funds 10%. The borrower pays the remaining 10%, instead of needing to put together the typical 20% down payment.

  • Carry-Back loans

    With a carry-back mortgage, the seller loans you part of his or her equity. In this scenario, you would finance the majority of the purchase price with a traditional mortgage lending institution and finance the remaining amount with the seller. Typically you will pay a somewhat higher interest rate with the loan from the seller.

No matter how you gather your down payment funds, the thrill of reaching the goal of owning your own home will be just as great!

Need to talk about the best options for down payments? Give us a call: (904) 342-3622.

Got a Question?

Do you have a question? We can help. Simply fill out the form below and we'll contact you with the answer, with no obligation to you. We guarantee your privacy.

Your Information
Your Question

2800 North Fifth Street Suite 301B
St. Augustine, FL 32084